Q: What are some social and emotional milestones for this age group?
- Copies adults and friends
- Shows affection to friends
- Takes turns when playing
- Easier separation from parents
- Dresses and undresses self
Q: What should I look for when observing language and new found communication strategies?
- Can follow 2-3 step instructions
- Can name most familiar things
- Understands prepositions like: in, on,under, over
- Can name their friends
- Knows and can say their name, age, and sex
- Talks well enough that strangers understand most of what they say
- Can carry a 2-3 sentence conversation
Q: What are some cognitive abilities my child should develop this year?
- Plays make believe with dolls, animals, and people
- Completes a 3-4 piece puzzle
- Turns book pages one at a time
- Builds towers with more than 6 blocks
Q: What type of movement and physical development should I notice?
- Climbs well
- Runs easily
- Pedals a tricycle with 3 wheels
Q: During circle time what will the children practice?
- Taking turns
- Speaking in front of a group
- Letter recognition, letter sounds (phonemic awareness is introduced)
- Number recognition, counting, simple adding
- Show and tell
- Comprehension of stories read aloud, problem solving about the characters, and predictions of what will happen next
- Calendar skills
- Holidays & Birthdays
- Any new theme or topic will be introduced
Q: Can my child be in diapers or pull ups in this classroom?
A: No diapers or pull-ups in this room; everyone is fully potty trained before they graduate to this classroom.